Given the same ambient temperature (21 Celsius) and the same 3960X OC 4.75GHz overclocking setting, I measured the MOSFET temperature with a temperature measurement tool.
The highest temperature is 43.1 Celsius during system standby, and 70.1 Celsius when the machine is running at maximum speed.
Among the several X79s I have used, the TPower X79 records the lowest temperature during system standby and at full speed. It is 8~15 Celsius lower than other X79s.
Possibly because of the heat pipe design, the temperature performance of MOSFET is outstanding whether on system standby or at full speed.
If the temperature is too high, I suggest strengthening the MOSFET radiation when overclocking.
Windwithme will measure the temperature of the hardware in this part for every article about X79, for reference.
BIOSTAR TPower X79
1. The overseas price is about US$230 (about NT$6800), which is quite affordable considering the choices for the advanced X79s.
2. The material is 2OZ combined with 8 layers of PCB, and the material specification of other hardware is better than many low-level X79s.
3. The new BIOS could increase the robust DDR3 up to 2400 stably.
4. The radiation system connects the MOSFET and chipset in series so as to lower the temperature more efficiently.
5. For the IO interfaces, it has 6 USB 3.0 interfaces. Including the interface on the front side, it has 7 USB 3.0 interfaces for expansion.
6. Audio chip supports THX technology. The metal cover enables it to have a smooth surface.
1. The CPU voltage vibrates greatly, which is 1.440V during system standby and 1.416V at full speed.
2. It requires higher CPU voltage for overclocking to 4.8GHz or higher.
3. BIOSTAR has no current distribution channel in Taiwan.
Performance ratio ★★★★★★★★★☆ 88/100
Material ratio ★★★★★★★★☆☆ 83/100
Specification ratio ★★★★★★★★★☆ 90/100
Appearance ratio ★★★★★★★☆☆☆ 73/100
Cost/Performance ratio ★★★★★★★★★☆ 89/100
Stars are used to give a mark for each criterion, with each star representing 10 points. Ten stars represent a full score.
However, the result seems inaccurate, so I calculated the score for each indicator.
Scores were rounded to the nearest whole number in order to obtain more accurate scores.
All these are my opinions after using the advanced X79 on the current market, which are hopefully an easy-to-understand reference.
The photo is taken under the sunlight. The bright light and the golden glow contribute to a higher color contrast.
It took me some effort in taking these photos. Thus, I feel outdoor photography is not as easy as it seems…
Considering its affordable price, the BIOSTAR TPower X79 is worth it in terms of the specifications and the material.
It almost equals the medium-level X79 which is sold at a price of more than US$300. In the whole X79 market, the C/P value is pretty high.
If BIOSTAR could release the advanced X79 of 8DIMM DDR3 and 4Way SLI specification in the future, it could strengthen the X79 product line under its own brand and gain higher competitiveness.
Together with the i7-3820 released lately, the BIOSTAR TPower X79 could provide another new option for the consumers whose budget is only for the high-level 4Cores
Finally, I posted a Microsoft Excel file which indicates the overclocking performance data of several X79s which I shared recently.
I hope it will help you in making comparisons if necessary.
windwithme For X79 OC Data
This article is also post in my blog WIND3C
, Any comments are welcome.